Saturday 23 February 2013

Imitation Momofuku Bun 馒头夹烧肉

Imitation Momofuku Bun 馒头夹烧肉


An imitation of David Chang's Momofuku buns


I think David Chang's signature dish, the Momofuku buns, needs no introduction. 

Here, I am just sharing my humble attempt to imitate David Chang's wonderful Momofuku bun. 

Early in the morning on the first day of the Chinese New Year as I looked into my fridge, the large slab of left-over roast pork from the Chinese New year eve caught my eye. I was too bleary-eyed to cook a meal that morning and I needed time to pack for our family trip to Hong Kong and Macau. I remembered I've got some Chinese buns stocked up in my freezer and I have been wanting to try out David Chang's Momofuku bun ever since I read about its rave review!

I took out the roast pork and the buns but I didn't feel like making cucumber pickles so I just sliced the cucumber into thin slices and prayed that everything would turn out well.  

Well, the buns were great ! Yummy !




Ingredients

1 packet of Chinese buns
1 small cucumber 
10 thick slices of roast pork, about 1 cm thick
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce ( optional )



Instructions

 

1.  Steam the buns for about 5 minutes.
2.  Pry open a bun and spread some BBQ sauce on one side of the bun.
3.  Place a slice of roast pork between the two flaps of the bun
4.  Spread some chilli sauce onto the roast pork (optional )
5.  Add 2 to 3 slices of cucumber onto the roast pork.
6.  Ready to serve





Great tasting buns !


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...